Ok folks, get your pointer fingers ready to click n' copy these super delish recipes below!
Last week the AMAZING Laurie made a whole days worth of food for us to try to show us that healthy can taste great!! I tried making two of her meals this week as you will see below. I am posting the ingredients and the nutritional information that I've come up with. Here we go...
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk (fat free)
2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (reduced fat)
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1. Cook pasta. Carefully remove 1/4 cup of the cooking water for later use. Drain pasta and place in casserole dish.
4. Makes 6 servings, may top with a sprinkle of additional nutmeg.
* Laurie topped hers with a little plain Panko crumbs.
** Even my boys enjoyed this!!!
Personally, I found 1/6th to be too generous a portion for us so the nutritional values you'll see following are for 1/8th servings.
dietary fiber: 7
Southwestern Sloppy Joes
1 Tbs. Canola oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 carlic cloves minced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 lb lean ground turkey (99%)
1 (11 oz) can of Mexican style corn, rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz) jar of Salsa (no sugar added such as Chi-Chi's)
1 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar
1 pkg Light Whole Wheat Hamburger rolls
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Swirl the oil then add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the chili powder and oregano and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add the turkey and corn and cook until the mixture is nearly dry, about 4 minutes.
4. Stir in the salsa and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thinchened and the turkey is cooked through, 4-5 minutes longer.
5. Spoon over the opned rolls and serve.
Can I just start by saying that I LOOOOOOVE this!! It is so yummy and I promise you that no one would ever eat this and think, "oh gosh, this is healthy stuff" - it's just delish!!
I have no tips or adjustments to make to this - it's perfect. I will say that the hubs added a little salt.
According to our serving sizes, we could get about 10 sandwiches out of this. The nutritional values below include the sloppy joe mix along with a light wheat hamburger roll.
dietary fiber: 3.46